Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's a sad day here....



Me and Grandpa and Grandma on my
wedding day, July 16, 1994

Grandma died late last night in California. We all heard early this morning. Although expected it does not really help. I am so grateful that I was able to see her last month with Gretchen and Whitney. We know that she knew who we were our last day there and it makes us all so happy that she was able to see all of us together. It was so worth last minute travel plans, no sleep, and almost missing our plane to have those last moments with her. We left her tucked in and asleep and kissed her goodbye knowing it would be the last time. We went through tons of tissues as we laughed and cried all weekend!


This was one of her favorite times of the year. Living so far away and not seeing her on Christmas she made sure that we had "traditions" from her. We eagerly awaited receiving our advent calendars in the mail at the end of November. It was so exciting to get that big envelope to see what your picture would be that year and where the big door for the 24th was! Then that huge box of presents arrived, sometimes more than one box. We would take all of the beautifully wrapped gifts out and sort them and rearrange them daily, we probably drove mom crazy! I can picture her working at her dining room table wrapping and always doing perfect ribbon and bows with the cutest tags. And last, the box of Petits fours arrived! Ahh, I loved those little cakes. It warmed my heart when Kyle told me that was his favorite Christmas treat. Not a year goes by I don't order the huge box for the Santa party but only put half of them out!


She always called on Christmas and wanted to hear everything we got from Santa and we would all take turns telling her how much we loved everything she sent.


Last month when we were in California, Gretch and Whit and I talked about how much we loved her and how awesome it was that even though we were thousands of miles away growing up we had such a close relationship with her. Thank you mom for sending us out there for so much of the summer! We were able to spend this time with our Grandma and Grandpa instead of having to need babysitters while our parents were at work. It was the life! Disneyland, Universal Studios, shopping, lunch, reading together, and having that awesome inground pool - we were living the life! Many long talks and stories were told, memories that were made that we still remember today and will always. My only regret was that my own children did not know her as well. She was an only child and wanted so much to have a sister. She loved that we were 3 girls and had each other. When we visited and I reminded her I have five children her eyes bulged out and we all cracked up! I know how much she loved family and how neat she thought that was.

Love you Grandma, you will always live in my heart and those around me.


Mom, Gretchen, Whitney - hope you all have a somewhat good day, grab some circus peanuts for a treat today!

Dave, Jeannie, Bobby, Kimmie, Dave Brett - Thank you for taking such good care of Grandma and being there when we could not.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Margot-
My prayers are with you today. I'm so glad you have wonderful memories; they will be even more dear to you now.
Blessings and peace,
Laura

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother you wrote. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Love, Aunt Martha

Angi said...

Margot-
So sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing but loved reading your cherished memories of your time together.

RDMoose said...

Margot (RG,RG), Gretchen, and Whitney, you wrote things even I didn't know about! Like, my mom wanting a sister. I never knew that, but I'm not surprised!

Your tribute to Grandma is unsurpassed by anything I can think of, and I thank you very much.

Uncle Bobby