Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our Tour of the United States




Ethan's Notebook Cover


This is a new unit study that we started this week. Wanted to share how much fun we are all having. The girls who do 2nd grade work are covering basics and the boys, 4th and 6th, can get more in depth. My book idea came from the Serendipity blog. I saw the state books and realized that I had the one on Ohio. I didn't realize that they were available on every state.
I made 3 ring notebooks for each child and made a quick cover sheet for them to color. Inside the front is a map of the United States. I downloaded from Enchanted Learning (where I have a membership - well worth the $20 a year!) maps and other papers that we used. When we start a new state they color that one in on the map.
Next, there is a divider which I labeled with the state that we are studying. We are going in order of the states entering the union so we started with Delaware. On the divider we have colored and cut out the outline of the state and glued it to the divider.

This weeks book. They are ABC books
but the information in the sidebars is
advanced and detailed, perfect for the
older kids.

Then the fun part we start reading! As we read we label or draw what we have read about. For Delaware we labeled water, surrounding states, the Mason Dixon Line, and the capital of Dover. We drew about the inventor of the Victorla, Ceasar Rodney, along with the state bird and butterfly.



Ethan's Graphic Organizer of State
information





Lindy's map that we filled in along the way.
We added things we read about.




Kyle's notebook page of significant state
facts and people.



Paige's state flag.



We all learned so much including Mom! This week we are heading to Pennsylvania. I can already see some tangents off of this state. You'll see later, I don't want to spoil it for the kids!

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I wish I had that when I had to learn about the states! You will have to read it to me!

Laura said...

That's a great project! Beautiful pictures too :) Dover makes a coloring book with all the states and facts like state bird and such that's alot of fun too.