Saturday, January 17, 2009

Erin's Preschool

Little Erin had another busy week! Especially if you count all of the work and activities she tags along to. I am readjusting her grade level to 2nd grade! Preschool is second to dance class as her favorites go. She is such the enthusiastic learner. Believe me if she did not want school work I would just grab a stack of books and read. But she is a doer and she wants to make things! So we do things and she follows us around most the day and I just incorporate her into the day.
This week centered around Jan Brett's The Mitten, perfect for the snowy week we had. The author has a wonderful website with so many project ideas, it was hard to choose.
I downloaded the Mitten with the animals for her to color, cut, and assemble.
She colored the 2 big mittens to make a pair.
And yes I am obsessed with her hands. I always
have been! They are so dainty and always willing
to hold mine even when she sleeps.
Did a really good job cutting them out. Only needed
my help around the thumbs!
Then we glued the mitten together. She colored the
animals and I cut those for her. They then fit into
the mitten so she can take them out and play and retell
the story.
Then it was on to the big stuff! She observed and
drew her own crystals. Such the little scientist!
Time for a snow break. She "painted" snow
until her little fingers were frozen around the
sprayer!
She does play when we do school stuff and she
needs her time.
These mitten shaped cards are a couple of years old.
I used them with the girls. Just traced a mitten shape
onto construction paper. Write upper case letter on
each and a lower case on one.
First we put them in ABC order. Then we start
matching them the Upper and lower case pairs.
She knows about half the matches which
I think is great!
It was then onto her last project of the week. I also
downloaded the animal masks from Jan Brett's website.
I cut them out and we made them into puppets instead.
Glad I did as she is a natural performer!
Welcome to my Mitten puppet show!
You couldn't ask for better sisters. They
are so supportive and enthusiastic of
everything Erin does.
I read the story off to the side and she would bring the
appropriate animal up. She "swooped" her owl in and
"hopped" her bunny.
Thank you so much for coming. I had a great week!
Love Erin

3 comments:

Laura said...

How very cute! I know what you mean about Erin tagging along and wanting to do what the big kids do, I have one of those too ;) They learn so much that way!

Angi said...

Margot, will you homeschool me???

Gretchen said...

Erin you are just too much! Your hair is getting so long... Lindy and Paige are great big sisters!