Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Inauguration Festivities





Anyone who knows us knows that we didn't hear the person that we voted for taking the oath! But that does not change that today we inaugurated a new president and could watch history in the making. We may not agree with things that Obama has planned for or his opinions but he is our President and it is exciting to see what will happen and where things will go.



Yesterday being Martin Luther King Day, the kids and I did a quick lesson on Civil Rights and what King did. For the boys this was review but most of it was new for the girls. When I read to them about racism and how people used to treat blacks and the discrimination they received during the Civil Rights time, they just looked at me with blank stares. Lindy and Paige were completely dumbfounded as to why anyone would treat people that way. Why would you bomb someone's home or the church's they attend? All because of their skin color? Kyle sat there explaining to the girls, " I know it makes no sense and was just wrong. But look where we are today." Referring to our new president. Which led to a discussion as to how King would have felt watching the inauguration. It was a good lesson and they were excited to watch today.

We decided to have a special lunch, out of the Mac & Cheese realm! I made roasted pineapple with toasted buns and ham and melted Swiss cheese sandwich's. Along with Erin's pears and some chips we had a great lunch on our flag plates. A red, white, and blue drink accompanied our meal.




We headed out to hang bird feeders after lunch (more on that later) and ended up having a mini sledding outing in our back yard. I gave everyone rides (yes, I am sure that I will regret that tomorrow!) but we were all having so much fun!
















To warm up we had hot chocolate and played a round of Inaugural Bingo. Then we watched the taped swearing in ceremony. Everyone had a great time seeing all of the presidents. Paige and I were looking a cute First Lady book while we watched. Everyone was asking questions. It's really handy to have an in house historian on hand, thanks Kyle! It was such a great day that just kind of fell into place. I so enjoy these days with my kids! It is truely what home schooling is all about!


2 comments:

Ann said...

I also did not vote for our current President, but we watched the event, and my daughter and I talked about how it is our responsiblity to respect and pray for our President, no matter who is in that position. To be honest, I didn't find anything wrong with his speech - but time will tell where he leads us. You're right that it is an interesting time!

Gretchen said...

No matter who voted for who we are lucky to be a part of a democracy; it was fascinating to witness History in the making! How cool is that! Could you imagine if you were there in person among millions of people!