Monday, January 19, 2009

Acts of Service




Kyle had the opportunity to help at the Pickerington Food Pantry to sort food. He was doing it for his Boy Scout Community Service Hours and it was planned to coincide with doing Acts of Service today. There were about 25 people there and Kyle and another boy were the only scouts (I think they were too tired from the camp in!). The boxes of food collected from the holidays was huge! Things were very organized and I asked if I could stay to help and they were not turning down any hands. These are my favorite kinds of activities and ones that I want instilled deeply into my children. I want them to always volunteer and jump in to help where ever needed.
As I checked expiration dates on the food, Kyle sorted everything into the appropriate boxes. That was interesting, some of the donated items are things I have not heard of, Kyle was clueless (Cherry Peppers? I would not even know what to do with them!). We did best with corn, green beans, and Macaroni and Cheese.
It was nice to spend a couple of hours helping the community alongside my boy! I don't get the opportunity to do many scout activities with him so it was a nice treat. Keep up the good service Kyle, we all need to do our part to help.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Kyle, I am so proud of you!! I love to volunteer as well If fact on Wed. night I will be helping the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation to raise money. As well as on Feb. 8th for Hockey Fest. Keep up the good work!