Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Birthday Countdown Calendar



I have been wanting to make one of these calendars since I saw them on line at Christmas time. Since I ran out of time to do one for the holidays I decided to do one for Erin for her birthday. The entire calendar is magnetic, it is simply an old cookie sheet turned upside down and painted with acrylic paint. I used scrapbook paper to create a border both top and bottom. Not what I originally planned but I loved this paper and have been looking for an opportunity to use it.

I mounted cardstock as the center for the magnets although we drift off at the end. Then the fun part started with making a number for each day. This has been so awesome as I have been able to scrap a little each night. I usually have to make the magnet the night before as I never have enough time to get them all done. Occasionally I will get 3 days done but never more than that. I am pretty proud that I have gotten one done for each day on time. I really don't have a choice as this is the first thing that Erin does each morning! It is supposed to hang from a ribbon but I have not had a chance to give it to Bill to drill holes in the top. Soon!

Both Bill and Aunt Gretchen have April birthdays. Bill is the 8th and has a piece of cake for his date and Gretchen is the 16th and has candles. This helps her recognize the other birthdays who share her month. The 26th is done and on the back of the calendar where extra magnets can be stored. It is a giant sparkly cake and she can't wait to put that on! There are also two chipboard pieces to "play" with a cupcake and candy piece and they are moved to wherever the mood strikes!








Erin loves number 20 because the little girl matches the dollhouse from number 10.


She also likes number 11 for the paper selection. That's my girl, appreciating cute paper at a young age.


Today's was fun as the little purse opens.


Number 13 is her favorite as the ribbon is "beautiful."


A baby braclet and dollhouse for the little girl and her name is on the clip.



Extra play pieces.

4 comments:

Angi said...

That's so cute! I'd love to make one for Greer! She would just adore it!! Where did you see it online and can I peek at it at the Board meeting? We'll miss tween night or I'd hop in to check it out. Just darling!!

Laura said...

Oh my goodness! That's so adorable! Wow Margot, you've got skillz (stealing Angi's ghetto word ;))! Share that website with me too please! You did a great job explaining, but I'm scrapbooking-challenged! Maybe I can change it a little to mark Kristen's graduation date...

adayinourlife-carla.blogspot.com said...

Hi Margot,
I think we have met briefly at co-op. I have to say that is so beautful! Lots of love went into it, it is obvious.

Jennifer James said...

You know I love this!! The colors are beautiful! It is so cute that Erin loves it so much!!
I really can't believe she is going to be four. Time is flying by!!